The Tea Letter
Dear Tea sponsor,
Thank you for volunteering to do the Daily Tea next week. Below are some notes we have prepared about how it works. Please feel free to contact on me if you have any questions.
Rules and Guidelines the Daily Tea
The Daily Tea has a budget of $20 per day. You will be reimbursed for any tea-related purchases you make up to that amount, but not more.
- Keep all your receipts until the end of the week then put them in an envelope with your name and a note that they were for the Daily Tea.
- Turn the envelope in to Monique Brown who will submit the reimbursement request.
- A reimbursement check will be issued to you as soon as the system permits.
NO alcohol is to be served at the Daily Tea.
Purchasing, Preparing, and Storing Refreshments. You are in charge of deciding what to serve, purchasing the refreshments, and preparing them for service.
- Depending on what you choose and how well it keeps, this may mean one or more trips to the store.
- Your refreshments can be stored in the common room refrigerator and/or the unlocked cabinet above the microwave. Please only store items in these two locations and keep the counter areas clear. Remember, this is a common room, not a kitchen.
- Sometimes there are leftovers from the previous week, please make sure to check first and include those in your Tea plan. This both saves money and prevents waste.
- Common choices for refreshments are staples like crackers and cheese, vegetables and dip, cookies, cakes, and juice. Fruit makes a very nice addition to the Tea, but feel free to be creative with your choices.
- You are responsible for any food preparation that needs to be done such as cutting fruit, slicing cheese, plating cookies, and so on.
- Please remember that the common room has neither the help nor fully equipped facilities available for extensive preparation (like cutting, chopping, peeling) so it is best to do that at home and bring in the prepared items.
Supplies. The cabinet and surrounding area contains supplies such as plates, cups, napkins, flatware, baskets, trays, and pitchers.
- Check in advance to make sure there are sufficient supplies for your Tea. There should be plenty of paper plates and paper cups. Please make sure to use any open supplies before opening new ones.
- You will find cups stocked with plastic knives, forks, and spoons ready for use.
- If any supplies are running low, let the staff know ahead of time and they will resupply what is needed. You should NOT buy any supplies other than refreshments.
Set Up and Clean Up. The food is set out before 3:00pm each day of the week and clean up is around 3:30pm.
- When you clean up, make sure to wash, rinse and dry trays, pitchers and other serving dishes before putting them back in the cabinet. Please do not put dirty dishes back in the cabinet, especially dishes with food in them. We have had bug problems and putting clean dishes away is the best way to avoid this.
- If you notice that the serving napkins need to be washed, please drop them off in the staff office and they will be taken care of.
IF it is impossible for you to either set up or clean up for your Tea on one or more days during your assigned week, send an email WELL IN ADVANCE to the office support staff.
- Please be specific about which day(s) you need assistance (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...) and which time you need their assistance for (pre-3pm set up, 3:30pm clean up, or both).
- Please also be specific in letting them know where your food is stored and exactly what should be placed out for the day(s) your are asking for assistance. You may also request that they make a fresh pot of coffee (4 scoops of grounds) for the Tea.
- NOTE: Please only ask the staff to put out food and/or clean up after. Again, you are responsible for any preparation that needs to be done before your Tea takes place; it is not for the staff to do this for you.
IMPORTANT NOTE. At the end of the week, please let the staff know if there is any leftover food and where it is, especially if you have perishable items in the refrigerator. These will either be put out in the morning for people to snack on or the next Tea host can use them. We want to avoid having food forgotten for months.