This page is specifically devoted to the discussion of credit for math courses taken at US institutions other than Duke, while a student is already enrolled at Duke. If you are interested in credit for a course that you took prior to enrolling at Duke, please visit: Duke Prematriculation Credit. If you are interested in receiving credit for a math course to be taken while you are on a Study Abroad program at a foreign institution, please visit: Taking Math While Studying Abroad.
Getting Approval of Courses to be Taken at Another School
There are two steps that you should take before you enroll at another four-year US school in a math course for which you want credit at Duke:
- Apply for approval from the Mathematics Department.
- Seek approval from your academic dean.
Below you will find a description of the process of applying for transfer credit from the Mathematics Department. For questions about Duke transfer credit in general, consult the following:
- Trinity College of Arts & Sciences Transfer Credit Policy
- Pratt School of Engineering Transfer Credit Policy
Notes on Transfer Credit
- Transfer credit will not be approved for courses for which you do not satisfy the pre-requisites.
- Approval will be granted for courses that are deemed equivalent to Duke math courses, in both content and rigor.
- Once a decison has been made, you will be contacted via email.
- In the case of approval, you will be asked to submit the Transfer Credit Approval Form found here: http://trinity.duke.edu/undergraduate/academic-policies/transfer-credit
- Transfer credit decisions are handled only via the above described process. They are not discussed in person.
- For math majors, Math 401/501 and Math 431/531 must be taken at Duke.
- Some courses have a different code used for transfer. In particular, Calculus I taken elsewhere is coded as Math 121, whereas Calculus II taken elsewhere is coded as Math 122.
- If you receive transfer credit for Math 121, and intend to take Calculus II in the fall semester at Duke, you must enroll in Math 122L.