Complete the Qualifying Requirement
|Six semesters (Fall/Spring) of full-time enrollment.|
|Pass the Preliminary Examination||Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) training|
Write and defend the Dissertation
The Graduate School requires that you complete paper work for both the Preliminary Exam and the Thesis Defense at least ONE MONTH BEFORE the scheduled date. Read the information above carefully, and let lhe DGSA (email@example.com) know as soon as you are ready to schedule the exam and defense.
The following time line is meant to provide general guidance - individual cases may vary.
- Year 1: Complete the Qualifying Requirement.
- Year 2: Select the PhD Thesis advisor.
- Year 3: Take the Preliminary Exam by the Fall. (The exam MUST be taken by the end of the Spring of the third year. Students are strongly encouraged not to wait and to take the exam as soon as practicable.)
- Year 4: Thesis work.
- Year 5 - Fall: write thesis and apply for jobs.
- Year 5 - Spring: defend thesis and interview for jobs.
Resources for Math PhD Students
|Course Recommendations||Advice & Perspective
AMS, AWM, SIAM
|Summer Opportunities||Funding Opportunities
|Applying for Jobs||