Our program works closely with a number of institutions and organizations, including the following:
- Most nearby to Duke is North Carolina Central University and its department of mathematics and physics.
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is about 10 miles away. In addition to the mathematics department there is the department of Statistics and Operations Research. The Robertson Bus makes it easy to travel to that campus, so there are many joint seminars.
- Close by Research Triangle Park covers 7000 acres and is home to 190 companies such as IBM, Cisco Systems and GlaxoSmithKline. More than 50,000 people work in RTP.
- SAMSI, the Statistical and Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute, is an NSF funded research institute located in RTP. SAMSI holds regular year-long programs, and shorter summer programs, as well as an extensive education and outreach program for college and graduate students. It also provides support for Duke mathematics and statistics graduate students to participate in its activities.
- Further down I-40 is North Carolina State University, with large departments in mathematics and statistics.